Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Teguc, I hardly knew you...

I am in an interesting situation. I am about 30 min. from Teguc, which for me is the land of "milk and honey". Why? Well they have soy milk, cookie dough, Cheerios, Wheaties, grocery stores, clothing stores, etc. Not that I need any of those things, although I would like to buy a long sleeve shirt for this cool weather, but I feel so separated from modern society right now. Why?

1. We don't have a TV in our house. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but others in my class have mentioned watching CNN, MTV, Desparate Housewives, and about 200 other channels that exist. I just want some news!

2. I have only learned today that Teguc's paper El Heraldo is sold at pulperias here. I can read Spanish alright, but any news is good news for me. I feel so separated from the US!

3. We as trainees are FORBIDDEN from going into Teguc as a group. If our host families invite us, we allowed to go with them, but we cannot go by ourselves until later this month. (Due to it being dangerous/overwhelming for a group of cheles.) Everything is in Teguc. It's so close, yet so far away at the same time.

So I have only experienced Teguc for a short minute, in and out just like that.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If that's ever a BOLD FACED LIE!!! She loves eggs everyone. Everyone who reads this, send as much eggs as you can to her!

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, and you must also send some mayo...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home