Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Friday, September 30, 2005

visions of my death?

I left the house a little earlier this morning (6:50ish) and I was walking to the training center. I was starting to walk down the main road and it's custom here to say buenos dias, buenas tardes, etc. to everyone that you pass on the street. I saw a man walking down the road and I said buenos dias and went on my way. He was walking kind of behind me and I stopped to fix my pants as he passed me. I continued walking and he said to me (in Spanish, naturally), "are you in the Peace Corps?" Yes. "Where are you from?" Chicago. "How old are you?" 24. After that question, what I thought was a walking stick in his right hand was actually a machete! (sp?) We continued to walk...
"Do you think you want to spend the rest of your life in Honduras?" Probably not, but I am going to be here for the next 2 years. (Please don't cut my stomach open with that rusty machete.) "You speak Spanish very well, are you from Mexico?" Sigh. No, I'm not. "Why do you think it's so hard to get a visa in the U.S.?" I'm not really sure. (Please don't raise that machete any higher.) "Are you a U.S. citizen?" Yes. (So do you want to marry me for papers? Will that prevent you from shoving that machete into me?) "Well, I hope you have a wonderful stay in Honduras. Have a wonderful day."

And he went on his way.
It's just one of those funny things that I am not accustomed to in Honduras yet. It is very common for men (especially if they are from Olancho) to walk around with machetes and guns at all times. I have seen men exit from trucks with shotguns strapped to their chests and it is just something that I have to adjust to.

I have to admit that after it happened, it was pretty funny. I was scared, but there was no reason for me to actually be scared.

Funny Incident #1 of many...

1 Comments:

  • At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah I saw a similar incident on River North and the Gold Coast. Yeah it's all common over here too. Probably new over there but we started it. We saw the movie The Mexican and we just wanted to relive that. But somehow we never did it at Lawrence.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home