Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, September 18, 2005

the list

Criteria: 2 checked bags not weighing over 80 pounds total and 107 linear inches. 1 carry-on bag.

Problem #1: Peace Corps takes one of your bags and puts it in storage (so I've read) and essentially, I need to pack one bag for three months.

Problem #2: Honduras is a country of mixed climate. In the mountains it can be cooler (mid 40s-50s) but in the flatlands it can be much, much warmer. (It is like packing for Chicago weather, minus the harsh winters.)

Problem #3: I am half Irish/half Filipina which means that my hair is a wavy, coarse, sometimes super curly crazy mess. I don't know what they have in Honduras which can help tame the mess!

*Clothes*
bottoms: 4 pairs of cordoroys, 2 pairs jeans, 1 pair capri pants, 2 pairs of black pants, 1 pair of pj pants, 1 denim skirt
tops: 4 polo shirs, 1 sleep tank, 4 t-shirts, 3 button down shirts, 4 plain shirts (could pass for business casual), 1 shirt for working out, 2 tank tops
shoes: 2 pairs work shoes (brown, black), 1 pair teva sandals, 1 pair flip flops, 1 pair LL Bean Hiking Boots, 1 pair running shoes, 1 pair of retro-y sneakers (could pass for business casual), 1 pair of dressy shoes (for swearing in ceremony)
misc: various bras, panties, socks, bandannas
1 dress
1 fleece jacket
1 rain jacket
2 swimsuits
Cubs hat (you know I have to have one!)

*Toiletries* (And here's where the problems begin!)
eye: 2 bottles of contact solution, rewetting drops, 2 pairs of eyeglasses, 7 pairs of contact lenses
body: 2 cans shaving cream, 20 disposable razors, 2 bottles spray sunblock, 2 toothbrushes, 2 bottles Purell, floss, 2 bottles of nail polish, 5 tubes of lip balm, 1 small bottle of Heaven body spray
hair: 1 bottle shampoo, 1 bottle conditioner, 2 tubes of "secret weapon" (the best for my lion head of hair!), 20 hairties

*Electronics*
20 gb iPod w/Charger (name: Gael)
Canon digital camera w/charger
2 memory cards
CD Player
Canon Film camera
8 rolls film
head lamp (looks like I'm on an expedition)
mini alarm clock

*Miscellaneous*
4 journals (I love Moleskine notebooks)
mini sewing kit
swiss army knife
smith and wesson pocket knife
mini flashlight
lots of AA and AAA batteries
uno
deck of cards
photos
postcards of Chicago
mini Hello Kitty in travel gear
flat iron (yes, I am totally a girly-girl with this item)

*gifts for family*
2 books on Chicago in spanish
markers, crayons, and colored pencils (if there are kids)
M-n-M's

*books*
The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
Central America on a Shoestring ed. Lonely Planet
Hairstyles of the Damned by Joe Meno
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Whores on the Hill by Colleen Curran
Belletrist managing ed. Wancy Young Cho
LaRousse Spanish/English Dictionary

So there's the list, more or less. It could be different in the next 12 hours but this is mainly what I'm bringing. I'm possibly dropping 2 books because it didn't appear to be as many until I typed out the list!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kathryn,
    I'm a Peace Corps Dad, and that's just about what my son took to Guatemala when he left last month. I think you're prepared for anything...say, did you take any rain gear? A small folding umbrella, perhaps? It's awfully wet down there this time of year.
    Ho, that's the Dad in me speaking. Well just have a good time and relax.
    Best wishes. You're going to do great!
    Keep us posted, and we'll follow your blog.
    SIncerely.
    W.S.
    So. ILL.

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Will!
    I'm glad I read my blog when I did because I forgot about an umbrella. Thanks for the last minute help!
    Kathryn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home