Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Monday, September 12, 2005

how I got here

This is a post for those who are interested in my journey into the Peace Corps (PC).

Feb. 2003: I worked at St. Benedict high school and my mentor teacher was a former PCV in Bolivia and told me it was the best two years of his life.

Dec. 2004: Really began to think about applying to PC. As part of my new year's resolution, decided to submit an application.

Jan 7, 2005: Submitted PC application on line.

Jan 17: Had an hour long interview at the downtown Chicago office. I was also fingerprinted for the gov't.

Jan 31: Nominated to PC. Leaving late June '05 for non-Spanish speaking South America/non-formal education (Suriname or Guyana)

Feb 7: Received medical and dental forms to fill out ASAP.

mid Feb-early March: Went to doctor, everything ok. Went to dentist, need my wisdom teeth taken out.

Mar 17: 3 wisdom teeth extracted (approx. 10,000 tears fell that day too)

Mar 23: Submitted all my medical paperwork through express mail.

Mar 26: Dentally cleared!

Mar 28: Notified recruiter that my availabilty date needs to change due to a wedding in August. I tell her that the earliest I can leave is August 15th.

April 7: Medically cleared!

June 28: Talked to a Placement Assistant in D.C. He wanted to make sure that all my info was correct and up to date.

July 14: Received a FedEx package. Invitation to Dominican Republic!!!

July 16: Call from D.C. Your program is being cancelled, but we have another offer for you in Honduras. (July 17: Return travel books purchaed day before about DR.)

July 22: Officially accept invite to Honduras.

August 18: Staging packet arrives. Called PC travel agent and made reservations to depart O'Hare on Sept 19th.

So it took me about seven months from interview to invitation. Not long really...but when your future is riding on every little decision it seems like a long time. Latin America was my top choice of regions (since I studied Spanish in college) but it is also the most competitive regions and I feel extremely lucky that I got it. So there it is in a nutshell. Minus the worrying and the nervousness after each step!

3 Comments:

  • At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds pretty similar to mine! I'm pretty much terrified at this point. See you in 6 days! :)

    Crystal

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Dirty Flamingo said…

    Hey there! I found your blog via the Yahoo group posting. I've been nominated for Youth Development in Latin America too--except leaving June 2006.

    So I will be counting on your Honduras blog to let me know what this whole Youth Development deal is like! You're officially a link on my Peace Corps blog.

    Cheers & Happy Travels!
    Adrianna
    http://www.beforeitallbegan.blogspot.com

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kath,
    My son left for Guatemala 1SEP05. He's finally bought a cell phone and we heard from him. He loves it, and I hope you like Honduras too. Best wishes always. Keep on being upbeat.
    I'll follow more of your stories.
    Will S.
    Southern IL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home