Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Honduran food + phrases

Here's what you've been waiting for-FOOD!

Well, for those of you that know me, you know that I HATE eggs but they are so common here that no matter what, they have been served to me. I have already mentioned to my host mom that I can't eat eggs often, but eggs have already appeared on my plate three times. So I ate them. Lucky for me, they were scrambled and I mixed them with my beans and tortillas so I wouldn't have to taste them too much. Just don't expect me to be an egg eater when I return to the US!

So the staples in the Honduran diet are tortillas, rice, beans, and bananas. I have all of these at some point during the day. Breakfast is usually cereal (hooray!) and coffee or toasted bread with refried beans. Lunch is tortillas, rice, and some kind of meat of veggie. Dinner is plaintains, beans and tortillas. Tortillas here are made by hand and taste much better than the packaged ones I had in Chicago. I know a time will come when I will be sick of beans and tortillas, but that times hasn't arrived.

Honduran specialties:

baleada: a flour tortilla with refried beans and cheese. can be filled with chismol, eggs, or chicken.

chismol: pico de gallo

enchilada: a tostada topped with refried beans, potatoes and cheese

nacatamal: a large tamale filled with beans, veggies, and chicken steamed in banana leaves

platano de desayuno: a fried plantain cut down the middle, filled with refried beans and topped with sour cream

These are the only ones that I've had so far.

Phrases:
cheque leque-cool
vaya pues-okay
chele-gringo
macanudo-well (How was your morning? macanudo.)
toda fresa/todo azul-good/cool/straight (response to how are you?)
que pepsi?-what's up? (que tal?)
catracho(a)-honduran

Cheque leque?

2 Comments:

  • At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this helped so much im traveling their this summer and this was so helpful!

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm flying there tomorrow and forgot most of what I learned last time. Needless to say, I made myself a list of some slang (: Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home