Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

chillin'

Since it's holy week, most of San Ramón has shut down. No classes, no health center, no cute teachers in town. I came to Santa Rosa Monday morning on my best jalón to date. My friend Juvini, a teacher at the colegio, saw me walking down the street and told me to not take the bus and ride in a jalón with him and his friends. Juvini and I were in the flatbed which had a mattress in the back! We got to lie down and watch the sun rise on the way to Santa Rosa. It was excellent.
In Santa Rosa, I haven't done much except bake cakes for my friends Connie and Blair, who are both celebrating birthdays this week. Some other people from our group passed through Santa Rosa on their way to Guatemala and it was nice to see them in the wild west. I was planning to travel with Connie, Blair, and our friend Desirae, who lives in La Ceiba, to El Salvador but there are no buses running to El Salvador on Thursday or Friday. So I will have to travel to San Salvador, with it's famous salsa nights, another time.
I am headed back to San Ramón today because I promised to attend San Ramón's last soccer game of the season. Luis has told me that there is a player on the San Ramón team who is perfect for me, who I should marry so I can stay in Honduras forever, though I highly doubt it. I attended a game on Sunday which was actually pretty exciting. San Ramón was down 2-0 and tied it up in the second half. When the second goal was scored, the drunks pulled out their guns and started firing into the air in celebration. Me, being the nervous gringa that I am, got really worried that they would misfire because they were drunk and careless. Obviously, nothing happened but it was one of those cases where I was thinking, "Does anyone else think this is strange besides me?" No, it was just me. The game ended in a tie and I left before a drunken fight broke out.
This means the rest of the week, I will be at home just chillin' and trying to sleep in, which means not waking up at 5:45 every morning. I know I shouldn't be so excited about having time off considering my first two months in San Ramón were nothing but a vacation!

1 Comments:

  • At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Off-topic.

    On-topic:
    Don't get married in Honduras! There are many soccer players here in Mexico that would be perfect for you, too! :P
    Drunks suck. Going to soccer games in Latinamerican countries does not make for much fun anymore.
    I'm in a small town right now, for Semana Espanta, as I call it (I'm so disrespectful, I know, I know), and I can't sleep well, but it's probably because I sleep a lot in the city.
    I'm so glad that what you're doing feels like a vacation for you! Enjoy all this muchly!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home