Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Friday, March 10, 2006

you sound happy!

Things have been going really well this week due to my brothers coming by every night after dinner to visit me. Wednesday night they took my cell phone and called the radio station in Santa Rosa and requested a song for me on the air! (It was Daddy Yankee...but it's the thought that counts, right?) After that, my brother Luis called my parents for me (I didn't know how to dial out--I know, I know, pathetic) and they all sat with me while I talked to my dad because they wanted to hear what "fluent English sounded like". It was strange because I was talking about them to my dad in front of them but they didn't know because they don't speak English. It's hard to explain the strangeness of the situation. But my dad said, "You sound happy!" and maybe because I am. Some of the little kids drive me nuts with their constant questions and always wanting to play and things at the colegio are backwards but everytime my brothers come by, everything bad about the day is erased because they are just so adorable.

I taught my first English class yesterday to sixth graders, which went much better than expected. It turns out that they have a good vocabulary already (and of course the boys already know, "I love you", what did you expect?) and they sang "Old McDonald Had a Farm" for me, which was pretty cute. The good thing for me is that they only need me to teach once a week, which means that I have plenty of time to think up really interesting lessons. I know that I would go crazy if I had to teach it more than that.

Supposedly, baseball will be starting next week...when colegio officially starts (finally!).

One more thing, Happy Birthday Kitch! I know it's a day late but I didn't forget. I miss you tons!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger *** said…

    don´t get too wrapped in your work, cuz we are rolling out west sometime in the next couple weeks!! We´ll let you know details when we have them!

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't you mean STRAPPY birthday???

     

Post a Comment

<< Home