Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

here chicky chicky

Lucy's last day went out with a bang. I was at my new kitchen table (finally) and reading a Glamour magazine in peace (yes, that exists in the developing world) when I heard Lucy barking like a maniac. I go out into the yard and see that 2 of my neighbor's baby chicks have entered my yard (not unusual) and she is chasing them down the hill (my yard is on an incline). I don't think too much of it at the time until the barking gets crazier and I hear a lot of chirping. I go down and see Lucy's fur all wet and a chick hiding underneath a rock. I was freaking out because I didn't see the head of this chick or its feet so all I could think was, "How am I going to explain to Simon and Crystal that I let their dog kill a chick?" But the chirping started up again and I grabbed Lucy and kept her in the house until my neighbor came over and got the chick out of the mess. I was glad because the last thing I needed to see was a dead baby chick in my lawn and a puppy covered in blood. It would be right out of an aralen dream.
Lucy and I traveled to Santa Rosa to meet up with Crystal and Simon. We ate pizza, we went to a good grocery store, and we ate cake (a must when I meet up with them). I loved having Lucy for the past 10 days but was glad to give her back to them. It is tough training a puppy and I give them credit for having the patience to put up with it.
In other news, there was a nasty car crash in a town close to mine, Mercedes that involved 4 students that attend the colegio. One of the girls in the car is a girl that my brother Luis has a crush on and he was crushed to find out that she was in the accident. All the students should be alright but one of them is still in intensive care and classes were cancelled today so that the teachers could go to Gracias, Lempira (the capital of my department) to visit them. When I heard the news, it was one of those stories that really hit me because I was just taking pictures of these kids on Thursday at that talent show and now they are in the hospital. But thank goodness that all of them should recover just fine.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Rain said…

    Hey! I was invited to the June Honduras PC group and I found you via the yahoo pc group. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions if you're not too busy, since its all kind of confusing (packing list and what things are like there). Do you mind? --Rain
    http://rain-pc-honduras.blogspot.com/ or email: sunswimer02@gmail.com

     
  • At 1:01 AM, Blogger Tony Akins said…

    Yo! My "other" PCV friend and her husband just had a baby. She was that recruiter I was telling you about...anyway, she's in DC now, recently assigned to an Embassy in Mexico (somewhere). Thinking about a State Department job when you're done? There, that's all the banter I have before I go to bed. I hope you're well, K.
    For God's sake how much can a baby chicken bleed, anyway? Glad it's safe though.
    buhbye

     

Post a Comment

<< Home