Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Friday, March 24, 2006

la señorita aniversario

I attended a San Ramón beauty pagent. Honestly! The colegio held "la señorita aniversario" pagent, similar to homecoming queen elections in front of the school. (Yes, classes were cancelled for it.) There was one female representative from each class, which meant there were 8 candidates. They first came out in what I could only describe as "club wear", halter tops, mini skirts, hooker boots, lots of jewelry and introduced themselves, where they were from, and how they felt about being a candidate for Ms. Anniversary. After their "interviews", they changed into the evening wear (I swear, I wouldn't had been surprised if there were a swimsuit competiton!) and soon after la señorita aniversario was crowned.

Yesterday, she led the school in a parade along the main street. It was actually pretty fun. We just marched along the main street while the marching band played. After the parade, there was a "talent show", which meant lip synching along to Spanish songs or scandelous dancing on stage to reggaeton. The former director of the colegio was there and was flirting with Ms. Anniversary the whole time with his wife at his side. Pretty creepy. After lunch the teachers played against the San Ramón soccer team. Lucky for me, I didn't have soccer shoes so I couldn't play. It was a good game with a large part of the town coming out for the match. My brother Brayan was rooting for San Ramón, since he's not in colegio yet and was coming up with all these crazy cheers and making fun of all the players. It's nice to know that heckling (sp?) players is universal. The game ended in a 2-2 tie (everyone is a winner?) and la fresa (the director's son) pulled a fainting act during the game to try and get a penalty shot in his favor. Supposedly someone tried to trip him and he screamed, "Where's the call?" Didn't get the call, so he put his head between his legs and then kneeled to the ground. It was an Oscar worthy performance. Brayan knew that it was a farce so he shouted, "Red Cross! We need the Red Cross right now!" After some colegio girls rushed to La Fresa's side, he was immediately "cured".

After all that excitement, they cancelled classes today which means free day in Santa Rosa! Lucy is still at my house and all is going well. However, I have decided that I am not ready for a dog at this time. I love dogs but my decision was finalized yesterday when a group of kids that finally had stopped coming to my house started coming to my house again to play with Lucy. If I had my own dog that would mean non-stop kids. I was just starting to appreciate the die down of kids and now it has started up again, which means endless cups of water, dirty hands, dusty shoes, begging for candy, wanting to wash their hands constantly because I have a Justice League soap dispenser, and not leaving ever because they don't want me to be "lonely" (which is sweet, but unnecessary).

I have to admit though that having a dog is nice company. Maybe after a year...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home