Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Saturday, March 18, 2006

the true test

I am thinking about getting a dog but am not sure that I am responsible enough to care for one full time so instead I am going to dog sit for Crystal and Simon's dog, Lucy, while they go meet some other volunteers. She's a Doberman/Pitbull mix and a handful because she's just a puppy. But she is fun and so cute and after this week, I'll know if I really want a dog full time.

In other news, I worked on the census again on Thursday in Matasano (or "kill the sane") and met a 76 year old man married to a 30 year old woman. She just gave birth to their 3 month old son. Truly a miracle of science. Yesterday, I taught English to 5th and 6th graders. It was my first class for the 5th graders so I asked them, "What English words to you already know?" A little boy stands up and shouts "Son of a bitch!" and points. I know that he had no idea what he was saying which made it so freaking cute. I ended up teaching them "hello, goodbye" by the Beatles with hand gestures, which they loved. I don't really know how much English they'll actually end up learning, but it's nice to teach them songs.

I have to get back to the Santa Rosa house and get back to Lucy before she tears up the whole house.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger Dirty Flamingo said…

    That's a reall good idea--a test.

    I, well we, really want to get a dog too. However I do have my doubts about being able to care for the lovely creature. we are doing our own little test with a pet mouse.

    I've been waning a baby chicken for a long time, but Will allways refuses me. so he let me get a mouse. She is cute, but I know she isn't even half the work a dog would be. Sofia lives in a giant plastic space saver filled with toilet paper tubes, a ramp constructed from cardboard and small box they gave us at the pet shop--she sleeps in there ALL DAY covered in wood chips.

    I'm going to miss her when we leave Melbourne--I hope I can find someone to take her :)

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger *** said…

    Dear jesus, i hope everything goes okay with Lucy, but if you "accidentally" kill her, you can just give us some random honduran street dog, and we will pretend that we don't know the difference....cuz we tight like that.

    Thanks again!!!
    simon y crystal

     

Post a Comment

<< Home