Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Saturday, February 18, 2006

styrofoam parties and garbage bonfires

I officially moved into my house on Wednesday when my bed and fridge arrived. I was really sad to leave my host family....I know that I've made jokes about being stuck in "the cell" (which I won't miss) but I really began to like my family once we actually became friendly. However, not even 15 minutes after arriving to the house, I hear a knock on the door and there are my brothers and sister! They helped me set up my stove, move my fridge, they brought up my huge table from "the cell" (up the mountain no less!), and cleaned out my pila (it was full of mosquitos). After all that work (and me just standing around like a clueless northamerican), they picked up the pieces of styrofoam that were on the floor, that came from the packaging of the fridge, and they began to joust with it, do karate chops, and beat each other in the head. Within minutes there were pieces of styrofoam everywhere and the whole house was a mess...it was pretty fun though.

They grabbed a broom and started cleaning up right away and said, "We'll burn your trash for you!" (I know, I know, it is horrible for the environment but it is what you do here). They made a huge pile of the styrofoam mixed with my trash, started the fire, started dancing and screaming around the fire. Minus the fumes and health hazards it was a good time. I wish I had been smart enough to grab my camera and take pictures.

They came over the next day to reclean the pila, pick oranges, and plant flowers for me (it was soooo cute). However, a bunch of kids decided to join them and my house became a mess again. I don't mind my brothers coming over because I know them and they know me ("confianza" wink, wink) but these other kids don't know me, love to dig through my stuff, always want to play, and don't understand the meaning of the word "no" (as I had to throw them out of the house two days ago for dunking their heads into my pila and spitting in it).

Yesterday, they spilled juice all over the floor which I only found out about this morning when I saw a family of ants having a party. My brothers didn't come over yesterday because I think they knew that I was mad about the mess the other kids made, so I really love them for that. I threw the other kids out again yesterday but even after I told them that they had to leave, they kept banging on the door, throwing rocks at the house, and jumping over the fence to look into the house from the back. (I don't have a back wall exactly, I have a gate...I'm sure this doesn't make much sense without a visual aid but let's just say that if I'm in the "dining room", I can look out and see my backyard because all I have is an iron fence).

Right now, I'm pretty upset, especially since I found out that they stole my bathroom lightbulb and I don't plan on opening the door if they come knocking. I was so excited about getting my own house, which I am still happy about, but I am really mad about the behavior of these neighborhood kids.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger *** said…

    aww, if it makes you feel any better, I found chewed gum in our pila 2 days ago. And we have a gate AND fence. Little brats.

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, styrofoam...didn't we always want to get one of those big long ones at Target for like $.25. Well, maybe not considering we just used the water hose & super soakers when we got hot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home