Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Saturday, November 12, 2005

3 facilitators, 150 kids = a recipe for disaster

FBT Aldea Project Day1
Daycare Center, Siguatepeque

Delfo hosted dodgeball, Crystal taught "Hello, Goodbye" by the Beatles, and I had a mini Olympics. We tried to set it up as a round robin and the kids would switch facilitators every 45 minutes. Round 1 went pretty well. If I didn´t have an older student helping me, I´d be screwed. I had a potato sack race, three legged race, a relay race, an egg in the spoon race, and a few others...what got done? Potato sack race. It took almost 1/2 hour to explain the rules and get people into teams. (I also realized my Spanish sucks! How do you say, "Don´t unravel the potato sack with your teeth?")

Round 2? Thirty five 6 and 7 year olds. Forget it! Mini Olympics were out the door-I organized soccer instead because they had WAY too much energy to burn. I had kids grabbing my arms and attached to my legs. Round 3 fell apart simply because most kids lost interest. So much soccer. It´s amazing how many 6 year olds know the rules for soccer. Needless to say I was wiped.

Crystal was wiped too because she ended up having almost 70 kids in her class at once! Originally we told our counterpart that we could manage 30 or less...but that´s the way things work out sometimes. She was the most successful because my sister was singing "Hello, Goodbye" for me when I got home.

Delfo had the same problems I did-too many people for one event and most didn´t understand the rules of dodgeball. (I definitely could not explain them in Spanish) But Delfo, being Mr. Johnny Depp look alike had no problems when his group was mostly 14 year old girls because they would do whatever he´d say!

Our counterpart was really happy with the results the first day, even though I felt like I was going to burst into tears after all the stress and broken Spanish. She said the kids are happy and wanted to know our plans for the next day.

One thing is for sure, I am NOT playing 3 hours of soccer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home