Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, October 23, 2005

when you´ve had it up to here

This past week has been extremely trying on my patience. I am frustrated in my Spanish class. Peace Corps approach to language is world renowned-speaking Spanish from day one-which I have loved, but I doubt that they were ready for my classmate-let´s call them Sam. Sam is an extremely nice person, not phony and doesn´t care what other people think for the most part-but as a learner? Sam needs to write every little thing down and needs clarification on every rule. For example the verb to wash "lavar" can sometimes be reflexive "lavarse" (I wash my hands. Me lavo las manos.) Sam will ask, "What times? Can I have a list of when it is and when it isn´t? How about in the past tense? Is it the same?" That is the way that Sam learns and I am not asking them to change that. It is trying though.

Sam and I got into an arguement on Wednesday. I won´t describe the whole incident here, but Sam yelled at me in class and I got mad and ghetto Kathryn was about to make an appearance. Sam accused me of not being adaptive to their learning style so I have been EXTRA careful the rest of the week to not be out of line. But after clss on Friday, I was mad. Class always moves slow because Sam asks so many questions and needs clarification. Sam always walks up to the board to write and wants to draw on the board or stand up and give demonstrations. So I began to think, "My classmate and I have been adapting to Sam´s learning style, why can´t Sam adapt to ours?" I have an oral proficiency interview this Tuesday and I hope I can do well enough or Sam does well enough that we will not be in the same class next cycle.

Like I said, Sam is a nice person. I just can´t be in the same class.

Sorry for the vent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home