Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, October 23, 2005

the almighty Lempira

I went to the mall with my family yesterday. We went into this department store called Mendel´s to look around. My mom said, "We´ll just look at the prices because they´re so expensive". It´s hard not to think like a person from the States sometimes. A denim jacket costs 225 lempiras about $12!!! Jeans cost 175 lps. about $9.50. I would love to find jeans in the US for $9.50! But when I think 175 lps., well, that´s a lot. I make about $80 a month. Last week, I spent almost $25 on postcards and stamps alone. It´s hard to think in Lempiras bceause I always think in dollars too. But my salary is in lempiras, not dollars. So I think, is a box of cereal worth 68 lempiras? (yes) Or 55 on a jar of peanut butter? (not if it gets stolen) How about 95 on a bottle of mouthwash? When I start my volunteer service in December, I´ll make about $190 a month.
Watch me blow it on Golden Grahams and soy milk!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home