Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

tick-tock-tick-tock

Four weeks and counting! (18 shifts to go at Starbucks!) I received my reporting instructions. I will be leaving Chicago for Washington D.C. (for a short orientation) at 8 a.m. on Sept. 19th and will be departing D.C. for Tegucigalpa at 7 a.m. on Sept. 21st!

Being the procrastinator that I am, I am sure that I will leave packing to the last minute, but don't fret because at least I have given thought to what I am planning to bring with me. (The final list will be published at a later date. Along with photos of me crying as I leave behind my Diesel boots...)

For the time being, you can all know that I am going to be a high roller making $190 U.S. dollars a month. Big pimpin' right?

For anyone that doesn't have my contact information: (I would love letters or postcards!)

Kathryn Fahey
Voluntaria de Cuerpo de Paz
Apartado Postal 3158
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
America Central

A few tips if you are sending a package (not that I'm expecting one):

1. Use padded envelopes whenever possible. It's cheaper and tougher to open and reseal for those people who want to dig through the mail.

2. Scribble religious symbols or write biblical quotes on the padded envelope. Catholics are pretty supersticious and don't want to steal from a package with a cross on it and have it get back to them. (I say this because I am a supersticious Catholic.)

3. If you do send a box, please make a list of what you included so I can see if I received everything you sent or if someone saw that Color Me Badd CD and got greedy.

This is only if you would like to send something. I am NOT expecting anything from anyone. But amuse me with your stories of the Cubs, Starbucks, Borders, Mark Prior, Gael Garica Bernal, Chicago weather, etc. Cool?

P.S. This is to clarify to all: I don't hate Starbucks like it may seem from my postings, but if you worked there you'd understand. I am just ready to move away from a life of retail to something different. I have worked a lot of retail jobs, right? (Anchor Blue, Juxtapose, Perfumania, Borders, and Starbucks)

4 Comments:

  • At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A fantastic blog. Keep it up. Here's the resolve a lot of people are searching for; how to buy & sell dog bed on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kat,

    I'm going to miss you and to think I'm going to be in chi-town on the day YOU ARE LEAVING!!! Anywayz, I wish you the best down there and I will try to send you a care package when I get a chance. Just tell me what you are missing and I'll try to send you sumpin.

    love ya, Sam

     
  • At 2:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    FAHEY!
    I am shocked.
    I am speechless.
    I am so glad to have found you.
    HERMANA!
    You haven't updated this in ages, but I'll check back in case you do.

     
  • At 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oops, this is an archived post, duh! So you ARE updating, yay!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home