Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Saturday, February 03, 2007

trambompoline!

From the 22nd to the 27th, I was in Santa Lucia and Tegucigalpa attending a workshop for youth development. It was great to see people from my training group that I hadn’t seen in 7 months. PC put us up in this sweet hotel in Santa Lucia that wasn’t there during our training. It was huge and I lucked out by getting a single room, only because I was the last person to check in. The single room was just so nice, though semi-awkward because there was an 8 ft x 5 ft mirror on one of the walls next to bed (wonder why???). The coolest thing was that there was a trampoline in the backyard that the owner told us we were welcome to use at any time.

The workshop was alright, just intense. After being a PCV for over a year, it is hard to do a schedule of 9 hours straight (I should shut up now right?), when I am used to a schedule of 5 hours during the school year or a schedule of basically nothing now that school is out. We did get to play baseball for a bit and I hope that I may be able to actually throw a baseball without looking like a total idiot by years end. (maybe)

The first night was super rad though because my friends Crystal and Simon read my blog about the dog eating my bday cake and surprised me with a plate full of cupcakes for my bday! How cool is that?! After chilling at the hotel and going to the bar in Santa Lucia for a bit, we all came back to the hotel and played on the trampoline. It was scary and fun at the same time. Some volunteers had trampolines as kids and were really good at making people fly on them. Me, being clumsy as ever, kept my balance for about a minute before falling in the center. Luckily, I wasn’t the only one and by night’s end, a handful of us were in the center huddled up on each other while everyone else bounced around to get us flying up. It was fun cuddling and screaming at the same time.

The second night was spent playing Taboo, old youth development (us) vs. new youth development. It was amusing watching people play under the influence because they would shout out answers that made no sense or give clues that provided no help. (‘Come on K, you know this one. You know it!’…um, that provides no help if I don’t have a clue.) Then again, I was not drinking and I still sucked at Taboo.

It was a little bittersweet too because I know that I won’t see some of these people again until our close of service conference (yes, there is an end, and it is closer than I thought!!!) in September. All I could do was enjoy the moment while it lasted.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Consider yourself lucky you're in Hondo and don't have to deal with the snow piling up on you. Chicago needs to invest in a Mr. Plow, or maybe even a Plow King.

    Anyway, here's a Valentine's Day card, I hope i brings out that lovely smile of yours.

    http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?cf0aaa18df.gif

    "...and there's a picture of a train!"

    Happy Valentines Day!

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well, i thought you were going to go with the obvious response (come on, i practically gave it to you).

    but here it is

    http://blog.deconcept.com/images/2005/02/bee.gif

     

Post a Comment

<< Home