Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Friday, December 01, 2006

hey, joey-joe-joe!

The past week has been busy in a social sense. Last Thursday was Thanksgiving, which was a fun celebration in the Santa Rosa house involving 2 20 lb. turkeys and lots of “American-style” side dishes. Friday night was a salsa party as one of the volunteers was celebrating his birthday and Sunday was spent doing tons of laundry on the pila (what a downer).

Monday I left for San Pedro Sula to receive my one year medical checkup with 8 other volunteers from my group. I thought the checkup would be a little more extensive than,

-Hi.
-What diseases have you had in the past year?
-Ok, now get on the scale, good.
-Have you received a flu shot?
-No, the one from last year isn’t good anymore so we’re going to give you another one.”
-Do you need any medications? Any condoms?

Then we went to the dentist where it was the same procedure. The dentist was fast and got through all of us in about 4 hours. Later, I was told by one of the volunteers that he saw a cockroach on the cleaning equipment.

After, we received our results and it was kind of exciting when someone would come out any say, “I have giardia!” or “I have ringworm!” because they felt perfectly normal while a bacteria with fangs was dancing around in their intestines the entire time. Since I just got over parasites, I came out clean.

But we had 3-ish free days in San Pedro, which has the largest mall in Central America which we fully enjoyed. I ate way too much food and spent an inordinate amount of my living allowance just to indulge in rocky road ice cream, sandwiches, and cinnabon.

The best part though was being able to chill with the volunteers and talk about the past year, our successes and failures, plans for the next year, complain about Honduras, complain about the U.S. (easy for me when news from the U.S. was shown on cable), quote the Simpsons like crazy with my friend Simon, and being able to speak sweet, sweet English.

My travels won’t stop for the time being as I have to go to Tegucigalpa next week for a seminar and I will get to enjoy more sandwiches and rice krispy treats. Yum.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Homer: "I have a friend who needs advice, his name is, ummm, Joey Joe Joe Shabadu"

    Moe: "Homer, that's the worst name I've ever heard"

    (Man runs out of bar crying)

    Barney: "Joey Joe Joe, come back!"

    Ahhh, now there is an episode I haven't seen in a long time, stupid Fox Chicago

    Sincerely,
    The Gout

     

Post a Comment

<< Home