Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, December 03, 2006

nothing left for me to do but dance

“That is the stupidest idea I’ve ever heard”, said my friend (and PCV) Joe, after I told him that not only was I throwing a party for my 6th graders, but that I was the one who suggested it in the first place.

I talked to some of the girls about 2 weeks ago and casually mentioned having a dance party at my house one afternoon before they graduated and the immediately agreed. But school was out by then and I hadn’t seen them much because of Thanksgiving and seeing the doctor and since no one mentioned it, I thought that I wasn’t going to have it until….

“Cati, is it true that you are having a huge party at your house on the 1st?” Williams actually called me while I was in San Pedro Sula to ask if the rumor was true.

When I came back to San Ramón, kids kept coming by my house confirming the date and the time for the party. I freaked out a little because by then it was the 30th and I had tossed the idea of throwing the party away. Friday morning I went to Santa Rosa to buy balloons, white lights (useful for my Christmas decorating as well), candy and chips (the staples of the 12 year old diet), made it back to my house to clean up and hide all the stuff I didn’t want destroyed and made a few CDs for the party.

I said, “Come by at 4 pm” that way, we could dance for about 2 hours and then everyone would leave around 6 pm because it would be dark and no one wants to walk back in the dark.

4 pm comes along and the only people that are there are my locos. 530 pm, we’re watching “Mortal Kombat: Annihilation” (just like a year ago…funny how things haven’t changed). 630 pm, knock knock. 25 kids pour into my house at once and suddenly we’re dancing, taking pictures, and having a decent time in a chaotic (but controlled) manner. Most of them leave by 730 simply because it is dark and parents have come by looking for their kids (hooray for responsibility!).

The locos stay and we dance until 1030.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger Tony Akins said…

    It's 11degrees here. What's it like there? Make me jealous. Don't talk about the bugs, though.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No spin the bottle....w/ dancing?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home