Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, January 07, 2007

hospital visit

After a great New Year's with my friend Connie, I started to have pain in my lower back but didn't give it much thought because I had been riding on a crowded chicken bus. When I got back to San Ramón, I started to get these freaky chills that would last for 15 minutes. It's scary shivering for that long and not being able to stop. After the chills, my fever shot up to 104, so the next morning I went to the hospital in Santa Rosa to get checked out. It turned out that I had a serious kidney infection and they wanted to check me in to watch my fevers.

It wasn't that bad being in the hospital because the staff was so nice to me. The stupid thing was telling my mom that I was sick in the first place. She's a worrier (what mom isn't) and kept calling me and asking me what medication I was on and how could I have gotten a kidney infection (I don't know! geez!)

The funny thing was when I had a fever or a headache they would give me an injection instead of a pill (they're big on injections here). And they would give it through the needle in my hand (which, by the way, took them 4 tries to get...you have such weak veins!, they'd say) and it felt gross because the medicine would be all cold and in my hand. Yuck.

I stayed for two nights and still feel like all my energy has been sucked out of me. But the one benefit to being sick (the only benefit) was that I lost a few pounds mainly because I couldn't keep eating refried beans for every meal. How is a person supposed to get better eating fried food?!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry to hear that. Don't they have any pain killers?

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, there's always that cure for obesity....lockjaw.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home