Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Monday, September 25, 2006

a year later

DONĀ“T THROW TOILET PAPER IN THE TOILET!

Well, alright then.

A little over a year ago, 35 of us arrived to Toncontin airport in Tegucigalpa to "change the world" (aka avoid the real world for the time being). And that phrase was one of the first phrases shouted at us when we boarded a school bus with our PB&J sandwiches (or Ham and Cheese, sorry Simon) to live with our host families in Santa Lucia.

I laugh as I think about how I'd never get along with the people in my group. They were too different, they were too driven, they were not my friends from Chicago. Now I wonder how my life will be 13-ish months from now when we will be separated.

I laugh harder when I think about how I thought my life would be back then. I never thought I'd be playing GTA most days, having the most important people in San Ramon be under the age of 15, and my biggest concerns being how to master the art of being invisible.

I still don't know why I really signed up for PC. I know that I wanted to learn Spanish and live somewhere different. But did I think that I was going to make a difference? Not in PC terms. To be honest, what I am doing is not sustainable development. But I do feel like I am making a difference in the lives of my Honduran friends here. Again I wonder if we will still be friends after I leave or if it's one of those friendships that will be wonderful now but won't work when I'm gone, like so many high school friendships.

So one year down, about 13 months to go. I have to say that it has gone by so fast. Let's hope the pace continues this way.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger Tony Akins said…

    Hey K,
    I'm happy you were able to fill your time SO well that I was completely B-listed.
    Your potatos were happy to see you I'm sure.
    Speaking of potatos, those weren't MY wife and kids, I swear.
    Ask Jason if he noticed any resemblence...
    13 months, huhn?
    It will fly!
    The days here are very fall-like. Warm days but the temp drops well into the low 50's at night.
    Falcons circling the building right now (dinner time).
    Stop driving the boys crazy ( have mercy!)

    uno...dos besos!

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Emily B said…

    I am so proud of you! 13 months! That is amazing!

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Emily B said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home