Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

mr. brightside

I was reprimanded by the director of the colgeio on Friday because I didn't stand outside of the library during the national anthem--this is understandable. It's a respect thing. Later on in the day I was reprimanded by him again because I let the students use the computers in the library. They were practicing with paint and playing cards. I don't think it's a bad idea that they have the opportunity to be creative and get familar with the computers but he said that they are not allowed to use them unless they are for official business. (And the kids weren't missing class either. They just didn't have class and didn't want to be bored.) After that happened, I had a bad hour of "I'm going to request for a transfer, I'm moving to Santa Rosa, this colegio is garbage and I'm wasting my time." I was pretty mad for awhile the thought of selling all my stuff and just quitting crossed my mind, as it does from time to time but this time felt a little more serious.

What cheered me up? First was getting out of the colegio. I just went home because it was too much. Who was waiting for me when I got home? The cable guy. Only 3 months late but I finally have some cable. (Naturally, it was raining pretty heavily which meant no signal....but still CABLE!) Second thing that cheered me up was Williams saying I looked pretty, which made me forget about the fatty comment from before. The third thing was that Luis and Brayan came over and we just chilled. We played Vice City for awhile, watched The Simpsons (they can't believe that Maggie was the one who shot Mr. Burns), Brayan beat me in Simpsons Road Rage (I need to get that win back), Luis tried to convice me that Oscar is crazy about me (which I don't believe at all), and Williams kept bringing up his "plan" (his hope that I'll stay in San Ramon and marry Luis when he's legal....not going to happen!). It was just nice to talk with them and remember that not everything is about the actual work that I do. I have been feeling this way lately because I have to do this 6 month report for PC, trying to show my project manager (and the U.S. government) that I'm doing productive stuff in my sites. I wish their was a section "Number of visa conversations you've held", "How many people have asked you about Pres. Bush?", or "How many kids to you hang out with to help the time go by more quickly?". That's where I'd have some real numbers to put up. But honestly, I don't know how I would make it here without the kids that I have here. In one afternoon I went from "Get me out of here!" to "I could never leave here!"

4 Comments:

  • At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better about what you are doing. Remember chica, even if you only change 1 kid's life for the better, then you are making a difference.

    Plus, if they can't believe Maggie shot Mr. Burns, wait until they find out Nelson impregnates Sherri AND Terri in High School. WTF!

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better about what you are doing. Remember chica, even if you only change 1 kid's life for the better, then you are making a difference.

    Plus, if they can't believe Maggie shot Mr. Burns, wait until they find out Nelson impregnates Sherri AND Terri in High School. WTF!

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what channels did you get????

    i was particularly fond of people and arts. PROJECT RUNAWAY as they label it is totally sweet.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we actually just got cable today as well, and the vikes play on monday night football, on espn. how perfect is that?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home