Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, August 27, 2006

fun with rumors

I find it amusing the way rumors spread about me and how quickly they can get out of control. You're told during training that as a volunteer, especailly in a small town you will become the subject of many conversations simply because you're something different to talk about. I'd like to think that I've handled it well for the most part but it can be really frustrating and embarassing at times.

At the end of July, the soccer team for the colegio (different than the one my ex-future husband plays for) had a game. Oscar came over to the library to ask me if I was going to watch the game, which I had no idea about at the time, and we walked over to the field together. So what right? He just walked with me or I just walked with him. We sat next to each other and lots of people started turning around and staring at us. Luis looked at me and made kissy faces at Oscar and me. At half time, several students asked me, "So are you and Oscar dating now? What's going to happen with Prof. Johnny?" I just sat next to him!!! That's it! I teased him about him liking the Yankees and the Lakers (because he probably only likes them because they're popular) but that translates to, "You we're talking to him and smiling at him. You must like him, right?" The idea of guys and girls being just friends
is impossible to comprehend here. And for the record, we aren't dating. We are just friends.

This past week I went to the feria in my municipality, Taluga. I went simply so I could go to the dance party after the crowning of the queen. I had a pretty good time, especially because it wasn't in my town, which at the time seemed like a great opportunity to dance with whomever I wanted, and yet so many people knew about me the next day. Teachers at the colegio said, "We heard you danced like crazy at the feria." Luis came over to my house and the first thing he said was, "So who's the guy in the white sweater that you danced with?" Are there secret spies out watching me? I recognized only a few people at that party! But so many people knew about my adventures the following day. It's crazy how quickly those rumors spread. Right now the "white sweater" guy is my "new boyfriend" and it's going to make Oscar "really jealous" if he finds out about him. Or so the rumor spreads....

3 Comments:

  • At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's all your fault u know why? Cuz I'm going to marry Joshua Jackson!

    Off to Karaoke for me!

    In the same bed, vibrating...

    ***matrix bullet time mode***

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hola, bonita!

    ¡Los amigos. ..with beneficias?!

    Su punta loco mueve debe ser lo que atrae todo estos tipos a usted

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And also, there's always your pain killer pills, I mean your parents.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home