Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Monday, September 11, 2006

boys!

Oscar is a math teacher at the colegio. He's 22 years old and working on getting his degree in teaching of math. He is as big of a sports fanatic as I am. Up until recently, I had a crush on him.

Before I left for the United States, we were kind of talking over text messages, nothing more than "how was your day?" or "don't meetings with the director suck?". The day before I left he sent me this message, "Have a great trip. Enjoy your time with your parents and your friends. I'll be thinking of you while you're gone and I'll be waiting for you when you get back." I was feeling pretty wonderful and thinking that maybe there would be a chance that we could actually date. The problem is that he wasn't waiting for me. In the 2 weeks that I was gone he managed to get a girlfriend. I was a little sad but it wasn't a huge deal because it was a crush and things like this happen to me quite often.

The main problem was that I never deleted those text messages from my phone. Williams and Luis were at my house while I was holding dance class in my living room with some of the girls from my 6th grade class. They read the messages from him, became convinced that he was in love with me, and proceeded to send him text messages under my name. "I love you Oscar" "You are the only one for me" "We should be together".

Naturally, I didn't find this out until later when they came to me and said, "We need your help".

It turns out that along with the messages, they called Oscar, posing as my boyfriend, Fernando, and asked Oscar to stay away from me. Oscar figured out that it was Williams making the calls from my phone and told him that suspension may be in order. That's why they wanted my help. Williams asked me to make up some sort of story for him, saying that some other guy used my phone and not him and that I didn't even see Williams this past weekend. Both he and Luis were thinking up these elaborate lies that I could tell to Oscar and to the director to get them out of possible trouble. I told them that I wasn't responsible for cleaning up their mess, especially because they used my phone without my permission, using up my prepaid minutes, called my friends and put me in a complicated situation. I was pretty mad at them (but especailly with Williams)...and asked Williams why he would do such a stupid thing.

He tried to make it seem as though it were my fault. He tells me that I shouldn't be talking to Oscar at all, that I have enough people that want to date me that I shouldn't waste my time with Oscar, that I need to focus on my work and not on Oscar, that Oscar is a jerk, a player, a moron...and it finally ends with the truth.

"I don't want to lose you, Cati. If you started dating Oscar, you would spend all of your time with him, never be here on the weekends and forget all about me, Brayan and Luis."

I want to tell him not to worry, that they will always be a part of my life, that they are so important to my happiness in San Ramon, but I say nothing. I'm furious that he pulled this prank and will most likely make things really awkward between Oscar and me. Regardless of the crush fading, he was becoming a good friend of mine and am worried that their pendejadas may have messed everything up.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger Emily B said…

    you made this up, right? is this from a telenovella? don't lie...just kidding. oh man, the things we do (and have done to us) for love.

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Tony Akins said…

    It's like an issue of "Love and Rockets" down there!
    Where are the spaceships, monkeys and masked wrestlers?
    Hey, K!
    It's been ages I know...Missed you when you were in town. I'll catch you on your release (two years fly by).
    Playing phone tag with Wancy all week.
    Did you see Jason? Did he tell you about my "wife and kids"?
    Boys are trouble. Stay away from them.
    :~)
    besos!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home