Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, May 14, 2006

one and done

We had a welcome party Saturday for the new group of volunteers with a pretty good turnout. It was fun for the most part until some people started getting sick which is an absolute party killer. The game "one and done" really took a lot of people out. I fooled that dollface Jamo, volunteer wild guy, into doing a one and done with me while my glass was just filled with Pepsi. I'm sneaky like that.

I ended up sleeping on a colchon in the outdoorish area of the Santa Rosa house and got eaten alive by mosquitoes. I think bites on my fingers are the worst because they always itch and it hurts to scratch them. I also didn't sleep very well because my mind was full of so many thoughts that my mind never stopped. I won't bore you with the details but let's just say that no matter how far away you think you are from home, your past can still come back and surprise you.

Anyway, these next two weeks begins my nightmare traveling schedule. I will be going to Santa Lucia for a project workshop this week, get back on the bus to go to San Ramon for 2 days and then go BACK to Tegucigalpa for a teaching seminar. It's just that 8 hour bus ride that kills me and having to do it almost back to back is what sucks the most. Though I am happy to take a small break from my site and see my training group again.

Honduras has gone through a time change and we advanced the clocks one hour last week. The problem with this system is that only some follow the time change, so when I ask the time, people reply, "3 pm, the new hour or 2pm the old hour" Ugh! Nothing runs on the proper hour. The most irritating part of it all is at the colegio because school starts at the same time but ends an hour later. What?!

I guess one hour longer with....
Kidding. I'm kidding.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was only kidding (scarface tone)

    Hey, when are we going to see pics of you and your house. Unless you're a compulsive liar and actually live in a small hut. Hut(hotel 17) with a shared bathroom.

     
  • At 12:56 AM, Blogger Tony Akins said…

    I missed Wancy and Piper's party...
    Laid low by a migraine.
    Happy trails, Kat. Hoping the travel time goes fast for you.
    p.s.
    I'll tell you a story about a wayward cow, the last crowded bus back to "civilization" and a dark mountain road in Bolivia after you're done with the workshop shuttles.
    :~)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home