Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

cynical

There are times when I tell jokes and I don´t even think about other people´s feelings or I am just too cynical for some people.

Yesterday Sam asks our teacher, "What´s the word for single guy?"
Carlos replies, "Soltero. And then there´s a word for a guy who´s married."
I say, "Si. Victimo" (Victim) AS A JOKE.
Carlos laughs, says how married life is good and that everyone should get married because your spouse will make catcalls at you all day. (So adorable!)

Cool right?

I get home from class and get a phone call from Sam.
Sam, "Kathryn, I want to talk about the situation in class today. How do you feel about Sam´s presence in class?" (And yes, he referred to himself in the 3rd person.)
K, "I don´t know what you´re talking about."
Sam, "Why did you call me a victim in class today? Were you making fun of me?"
K, "What? No. I was just telling a joke. I was just teasing about marriage." Then I explain the situation from my point of view.
Sam, "Well, I thought you were making fun of me and that´s why I was in a bad mood during class this afternoon." (Yeah you were! He was slamming books, sighing loudly in class, and acting impatient when I was talking.)
K, "I´m really sorry about the misunderstanding. I´ll try to watch my mouth from now on."
Sam, "Well, I have to go." And then hangs up!

Should I feel guilty for making a joke? Should I be the one to walk on eggshells in class for him? I know that I should be more aware of other people´s feelings but at the same time, should I be babying Sam? Because other people in site are going to make jokes and say things, and if he takes them the wrong way, he´s going to be really frustrated for 2 years.

Plus, he didn´t accept my apology or apologize for being kind of a jerkface in class.

My friend in the same class says, "You shouldn´t have even apologized. He´s been babied too long and he needs to develop a thick skin. I´m so sick of things always going his way in class. You should be MORE open in class. Forget him."

That made me feel much better.

There are about 7 days left of Spanish classes.
To be continued....

1 Comments:

  • At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    eh i don't see the big deal. funny and accurate

     

Post a Comment

<< Home