Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Reasons to shout "Hooray!"

These little tidbits are taken from the letter I received on Monday from the Youth development program and Country Desk in Washington D.C.:

1. Be ready to hear different types of music in Honduras. Don't be surprised to hear American music from the 70s and 80s. (Can't wait for the resurgence of Kajagoogoo and Flock of Seagulls!)

2. Because we are working with youth, Volunteers are expected to be role models; you should not be drinking, smoking, going to pool halls or bars in your community. (Well there goes my plan on how I was going to spend the next 2 years!)

3. Reading and writing are part of the lives of Peace Corps Volunteers. (What?!)

4. The national sport in Honduras is soccer, be ready to choose from any of the several national teams that will give you hours of conversation, which interests people in Honduras. (How would I say, "People from the U.S. hate soccer, even though it is the #1 sport in the world, for some insane reason it has yet to catch on here; although I do enjoy soccer, and Yes, I am a female who likes sports, shocking isn't it?" in Spanish??)

5. I'm not quitting Starbucks until Sept. 16th. (Do I really need to say anything?)

But all jokes aside, I am actually starting to get excited/nervous/happy/sad/anxious/psychotic about my upcoming departure! And that is truly a reason to shout Hooray!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home