Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

From Dominican Republic to Banana Republic?

Ok, so I received my invite on July 15th to Dominican Republic. I was so excited. I was afraid that I was going to be sent to a central asian country where I didn't know the language or anything about the country. I began thinking of Carribean Spanish, getting more warm weather clothing, getting used to listening to merengue (and reggaeton) 24/7. I was assigned to a Youth Development program leaving Sept. 5th, however....

I get a call on Monday from my placement officer stating that I need to call her ASAP because there had been "a significant change to the program". When I called, she told me that the program is being cancelled and that I will have to be transferred to another country (oh no, I'm getting sent to central asia...). But she told me that I would be going to Honduras (also known as the original banana republic), departing Sept. 19th as a youth developer. (More on my assignment later.) This was great news because I could still learn and practice Spanish, work with kids, and I would have an extra 2 weeks to get all my things in order.

So I am calling to accept the position today. I will be leaving for Hounduras on Sept 19th, I hope!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home