Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

wipe out

I am no longer a PCV! My service ended on the 16th. And now begins the travel portion of this blog....

After visiting my friends Crystal & Simon on the 17th, I was on the bus to San Pedro Sula with the intention of going to Belize that day but looked at the clear blue sky and decided, "I'm going to Roatan" (one of the Bay Islands off the north coast of Honduras). I get to Roatan at 6 pm and it's pouring rain. Sigh.

The next day the sun was not making an appearance so I decided to rent a scooter to ride around the island. Keep in mind that I've never driven a scooter let alone ridden on one but I was in 'vacation mode' and wouldn't let that stop me. After learning how to start the engine (hooray!), I head east and keep riding for 15 miles. It was so much fun!

...until I see the turn off for this town, French Harbor, and decide that I must go there. As I turn right, I hit a pothole and go flying! People run out of their cabs to make sure I'm alright, help me up, help me with the scooter and were just overall wonderful. I'm scratched up but more than anything I was embarassed. I start riding back to West End (where I was staying) and decided that I would cut my adventure short for the sake of my health and for other people on the road.

As I write this, I am currently in southern Belize. Tomorrow I'm headed to San Ignacio, in the west and this weekend, I should be in Tikal, Guatemala. But I don't have any true plans as I've decided to travel wherever the wind takes me. Or knocks me over.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

4 Comments:

  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger *** said…

    nice work! I´m out tomorrow!!!
    have fun in chiapas, post some pics!
    simon

     
  • At 12:25 AM, Blogger Tony Akins said…

    Wow,
    glad you're in one piece! Safe and Happy trails back the this wind and rain swept City. As of tomorrow it may be snowy, too!

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you really think you would mention a story about you flying off a scooter and not get berated by individuals like myself? Not a chance! I can actually picture you flying "Superman" style, arms waving frantically, ohhhh priceless.

    How clumsy do you have to be to do something clutzy like that? Or how clumsy do you have to be to break your kneecap falling off a chair, or how clumsy do you have to be to need crutches 3 seperate times in one year? Ohhh that wasn't you, that was me.

    See ya soon,
    The Gout

     
  • At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Roatan Boat Charters said…

    Good stuff. It is interesting to read comments.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home