Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, May 13, 2007

letting go

I’ve had a bit of mini drama the past year with the colegio:

-The library not functioning the way it is supposed to…while it is in the correct spot now teachers’ desks are still crowding the space because there is no other space for them.

-The overall corruption of the director and sub-director. They push and push the teachers to work while they sit around and drink coffee. They really don’t get why PC was upset that the library was moved to the smaller room last year. It seems perfectly normal in their eyes.

-I am seen as a substitute teacher to the director. When a teacher doesn’t show up, he expects me to make up a charla on the spot. If I could b.s. in Spanish like I can in English, then it would be no problem. But I need time.

-Oscar, Juvini, Jhoni, etc. “Who’s the flavor of the month?” No thanks. I am not interested in any of them.

-There are only so many cat calls I can take from the students. Do you think you impress me with “I want to suck you”? No dice.

-The colegio functions well without me.

With that being said, I am weaning myself off colegio and focusing more on the grade school and the health center. I feel less stressed out now that I haven’t been there for about 6 weeks. It’s not that I hate them, I still say hello to the teachers and students when I see them on the main road, help any student that comes to my house with their homework and will still attend social functions. But I have no intention on showing up everyday like last year to sit around.

I plan on giving self-esteem charlas to my 6th graders in addition to the English classes. Eventually I am hoping that I will get them comfortable enough with me to give them sex ed charlas (!) (with approval of the teachers). Even if I don’t get that to that point, I think it will be enjoyable to work on self-esteem with them. And if you read my last blog, you know that I’m also trying to form a mini library for the grade school.

At the health center, I plan to continue with going to other communities and weigh babies and give charlas to pregnant girls. In March, I gave a charla about what happens the first 3 months of pregnancy and several women actually seemed interested. Great success!

This was a hard decision for me to come to …but is it fair for me to be unhappy during my last months? Is it fair that I stay at colegio with them while being unhappy? I just think that my unhappiness would be contagious and show. This is not to say that I’m done DONE with colegio but I am trying my best to cut them out and do work that is interesting to me and work that I feel actually makes a difference.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Health center? You mean like a workout area? That would be sweet, but you got to make sure to get a military press machine, so your kids can work hard to get "Special K" shoulders for themselves!

    Wouldn't it make more sense to have Hooter come down there to teach Sex Ed?

    Seriously, good to hear that you are going to be doing something you enjoy, even though you seem just a tad too interested in Sex Ed.

    The Gout

     

Post a Comment

<< Home