Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Monday, April 23, 2007

think you're better off alone?

I love and hate being alone. There are times when I feel so alone in my house that minutes last for hours. On those days, I try to break down a day into blocks of time (á la About a Boy) rather than seeing it as one full day. For example, this past Saturday:

Morning block: Make breakfast…and since I have more time, I can make a complex breakfast that will take several steps. I make a grilled onion and tomato omelet with pancakes. From prep to clean up and eating time, almost 2 hours.

Late morning block: Shower and coat self in sunblock because I’m going to go to the river to chill. Leave for river knowing that the walk will take almost an hour.

Early afternoon block: At river, lay out in sun, ignore catcalls and read magazines. Later, splash around in the water like a 6 year old when annoying catcallers aren’t there.

Late afternoon block: Make late lunch…again, since there’s more time, I make pizza from scratch. Take 2nd shower and read more magazines.

Early evening block: Watch Mexican soccer on TV because there is nothing else of interest on. Give up and watch Bend it Like Beckham again.

Late evening block: Send text messages to other PCVs and read more magazines until I feel it is acceptably late enough to go to sleep (9 pm).

It is hard at times because I am reaching that point in my service where all I can think about is how it’s going to end. I can’t countdown quite yet but it’s looming.

Then there are those times when I absolutely love said days where no one is knocking on my door, asking me for food, to take their picture or just want to watch TV. When I can read 6 magazines in one sitting and I look at the clock once during the day to see that it’s already time for bed. Those are the days I am going to miss the most once I get back to life in the U.S. Like I said, I love and hate being alone.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We take what we can get, and we do our best with it.

    It can't rain all the time.

    The sun will come out tomorrow

    and I can think of about a million other inspirational quotes or phrases.

    Cheer up chica, You're smart, pretty, funny, (and not just pretty funny), and a nice person with a great future. The best is yet to come for you, I can feel it. It comes down to karma.

    get it?

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You made pizza from scratch? Well I guess after that last Boboli Italian breadshell incident....

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger Emily B said…

    I don't like being alone either. I need to take your advice and start cooking. And maybe tanning. And hell, maybe reading more magazines.

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Tony Akins said…

    Don't start smoking to pass the time...that's all that matters.
    Tell me what were the magazines?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home