Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, March 04, 2007

rats!

I don’t really like spiders, but I’ve learned to tolerate them. But rats? I’m sorry but they just gross me out. I remember back when I was living my parents throwing out the trash and screaming and running down the block when I’d see a rat in the alley.

Friday night I was at my house and getting a glass of water in the kitchen and I hear this strange scratching noise. At first, I thought that it was the locos trying on my roof trying to scare me. I look at the ceiling and the noise starts to get louder. A few seconds later, a rat comes flying out of the corner (from the ceiling!), lands and runs toward me. Naturally I start screaming and run into my living room still screaming because it was nasty (and flying!). I stand in my living room with the door to the other half of my house closed (where the rat is) and stay there for a few minutes hoping that the rat may run out of the house through the back gate. Eventually, I head into the kitchen with a broom and a chair. I throw the chair into the kitchen thinking that maybe the noise will scare the rat out…nothing. I run into the kitchen with the broom, pick the chair up and stand on the chair. I decide to start hitting the refrigerator with the broom because that is probably the only place where the rat would hide. Nothing. I finally get the courage to get on the floor and see if the rat in under the fridge or under the table. I didn’t see anything so I am guessing that the rat left. But that didn’t prevent me from shutting all the doors and freak out every time I heard a scratching sound.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :)This one had me laughing as I read it on my way to work! Imagining you standing on a chair (after throwing it into the kitchen!) screaming and with a broom is refreshing and wouldn't be as good a story if written by anyone but you. It may just be my favorite one...

    Who knows, it may the beginning of a conspiracy by the Honduran mafia to feed all the kids in school rat's milk...or is that malk?

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And since the rat was flying...shouldn't it have been a bat?

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Emily B said…

    Oh Lord, K. Rats and Reality Checks. Oh my! Can't wait to see you soon!

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    reminds me of those old Tom & Jerry cartoons.. Can you get a cat?

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kathryn:

    I have been reading Lauren's Blog and came across your. I am a RPCV who was stationed in Dulce Nombre de Copan 1991 - 1993. I was the Santa Rosa house manager in 1993.

    I really enjoy reading both of your blogs and reminiscing about my PCV days. It allows for some great daydreaming while i am at work.

    FYI -- back in the early 90's, there was a huge number of PCV from the Chicago area in the occidente, including myself. Perhaps its a tradition?

    I can be reached at dthomas@ekmail.com.

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ick. do we need to steal a TARGET RATS sign from the alley for you? :p

     

Post a Comment

<< Home