Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, March 04, 2007

wake up call

Friday night (the 23rd) I was feeling a little homesick and called a friend in Chicago (we used to work at Starbucks together). I used my best material to get him laughing, talking about only buying eggs in San Ramon when my neighbor’s chicken lays enough eggs, the locos trying to tell me about a dirty movie they saw at the internet station (earmuffs!), and seeing that damn dog in Lajitas that ate my birthday cake. After a good laugh, he asked me the question that has become popular lately….

“What are you going to do after Peace Corps?”

…a year ago, this question wasn’t a problem simply because I’d say that I still had 21 months left. Now that I had 9 months left, I am starting to get nervous about what will be coming next. My planned end of service date will be towards the end of November or early December. A year and a half ago, I was planning to travel through Central America. But December 2007? I think I want to go home for Christmas this year. Then I began to think about money…should I try to come home before Thanksgiving and apply for a seasonal job (read: retail) to make some spending money? I’ll have to live with my parents again, which won’t be bad, but will be strange in the beginning just because I won’t be able to…

-listen to music at deafening levels & have solo dance parties
-take 3 pm siestas without being asked why
-come home late without worrying about waking them up
-not feel guilty about living with them as I will be approaching 27

Another problem is that I don’t know if I want to travel after the holidays because of money. But at the same time, I don’t think I’m ready to deal with cold Chicago weather yet. Plus, many people have told me that this may be the only chance I have to travel with no ties so I should take advantage while I have the chance. They’re right. But traveling is like the carrot on the stick (or dark chocolate bar in my case)…always dangling in front of me but I can never grab it. There will always be more places to visit, more places to discover, more adventures to be had. I will never feel as though I’ve traveled enough. But is that necessarily a bad thing?

Later my friend told me that he’s planning on going to grad school in 2008 and has applied for a store manager position at Starbucks to fill the time and make good money until fall ’08. I said,

“Are you crazy?! We made a promise that we’d never work there again!”

Then…

“If you’re store manager, can I have a job when I come back?”

Reality check.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well if you move back home, remember there's no more Zephyr's to buy a chocolate strawberry shake...

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...or a number 69: Hootchie Cootchie

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you will figure it out. this is what i think - you're sticking it out til the end so you deserve that third of your money up front. if your projects are wrapping up in september/october - and they should be unless i don't remeber the school year at all, maybe you can get the best of travel and coming home for that job.

    but you can get a job WHENEVER and you don't have to come back to work at starbucks or some other holiday season retail job - there's tons of stuff for chicago on idealist.org and npo.net - you'll find something and those 3 or 4 weeks that you have freaking out about money will be a distant memory very quickly. i promise.

    but can i sell you on the idea of new york? i'm going to try this on everyone until it sticks.

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    work at checkers......or at

    BUDACKIS!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home