Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Thursday, October 19, 2006

the san ramón cineplex

Yesterday the grade school held a movie fundraiser. Pay 2 lempiras and watch a movie at the school during the afternoon. The movie was supposed to start at 3 pm, but like most things in Honduras, it started much later. Part of the lateness was due to the DVD player not reading the bootleg DVDs and then the other part was that no one could decide on a movie. They ended up showing “Chavo del 8”, which is like a comedy show, with lots of skits. I didn’t watch most of the skits mainly because there was so much yelling going on.

“Juan, move your big fat melon head”
“There’s your ugly girlfriend, Regino”
“Stop sticking tape on me!”
“Would you all just shut up!”
“Look, Regino is holding Yuri’s hand, ooohhhh…..”

In other news, there is another nationwide teacher’s strike going and has been said to be indefinite. School is supposed to end in 3 weeks and I am hoping that the strike will end by Monday. The director of the high school told all the teachers (and me) that if anyone of us teaches any kind of class, we will be fined 500 lempiras ($25), money which goes to the municipality (or so he says). But students aren’t showing up either, so I guess it doesn’t matter if I were to teach a class anyway.

With school ending soon and coffee cutting season starting, I am getting a little worried that time will go by slowly. I am hopeful that I will be able to keep busy and not go too crazy if kids visit me everyday. Maybe I should stop being such a doormat and set some real ground rules.

Who am I kidding? It’s too late for that now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home