Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Monday, October 30, 2006

dancing punta in my stomach

That’s how I’ve described my parasites to people in town. Foolishly (and lazily) I didn’t boil the water for my coffee long enough on Sunday and have been paying for it all week with a fun batch of parasites. I’m pretty sure that’s what caused it. I normally boil my water for 4 minutes but I wasn’t really paying attention so I just thought, “Who cares? It’s boiling. It’s probably been boiling for awhile.” Idiot! Sunday night was spent with a fever. Monday was total exhaustion and stomach pains that reminded me why I am so scared about giving birth, considering these are just parasites and not a human being. Tuesday and Wednesday, still tired with little appetite.

Growing up as a chubby-ish girl, I always dreamed of a magical diet that would cause me to lose a few pounds without doing anything. Who knew that that diet was only consisted of drinking untreated water?!

I was stuck in my house for 4 days straight and was starting to go crazy. One of the few benefits was that I didn’t have to answer the door if someone knocked because I put a sign out politely asking that no one knock on my door because I’m sick.

…well, until Williams banged on the door for 10 straight minutes.

“Can’t you read?!”, I say groggily.
“Good, you’re not dead.”, as he barges his way in with Luis, who is holding a bunch of leaves.
“Um…I’m sick and I look like crap.”
“We’re here to make you feel better. We’re going to make you a drink that will kill the parasites.”
“No, really, you don’t….” Too late. The blender is already being filled with the leaves and water (purified this time).

I drink this concoction of what seems to be spearmint and water. They leave. 20 minutes later I’m throwing up.

You can’t say they didn’t try.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Such a cutey story. Let me write you a prescription for your parasites:

    Grey Goose Vodka Tonic, 6-12 oz, nightly as needed.

    Try that and call me in the morning (or in your case, write me next month).

    Seriously, hope you feel better, chica. :(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home