Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Saturday, October 07, 2006

buen provecho

For those who don't know, I am a cereal fanatic. I could easily eat cereal for breakfast and dinner. I always scanned the aisles for new cereals that came out and was one of those crazies that was excited when Cereality came to Chicago. Unfortunately, the milk here in Honduras, while it is pasturized and homogenized, still carries a funky aftertaste that I can't handle any longer. However, many of the markets/pulperias in Honduras have started carrying this powdered soy milk, Delisoya, which is just about the most amazing thing I've had since coming here. When I was in the states, I drank so much soy milk to make up for what I had missed over the past year. But now soy milk has come here and is available in regular, chocolate, and strawberry.

The other day I was making a licuado (shake) with the chocolate soy milk, bananas and peanut butter. Williams was watching me make it and said, "You add peanut butter to your licuado? That is really disgusting." Peanut butter and chocolate? Seems pretty natural to me. But I grew up in a world of Reese's and dark chocolate mini bars dipped right into the jar, so I guess it may seem gross to him. So to counter him, I listed several foods that I have tried that are flat out gross:

*Chop suey sandwich. The chop suey is just the noodles with a chicken bullion cube added and about 7 pounds of pataste (a vegetable that is a mix of no flavor and starchiness). Put that on bread, add mayo (yuck!), and it's lunch time.

*Rice with tomato sauce and peanut butter. Williams swears to me that is it awesome.

*Fried queso seco. Queso seco is this white salty cheese that is easily found here. Again, Williams idea. It was fried in vegetable oil. Not even close to saganaki.

*Jugo de nance. Travel books describe nance as "cherry's evil twin". It kind of looks like a small, orange cherry but tastes nothing like the wonderful cherry. The smell just reminds me of bathrooms at bus stations.

Is your mouth watering yet?

3 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmmm..what about BOSTON BAKED BEANS or mint chocolate chip anything. It's like brushing your teeth & eating chocolate at the same time.

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    not as good as mayo. or shanghai salt. or eggs...wait, I can eat those now. boo!

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger owl e. said…

    i just want to say this one thing. fuck nance. seriously. i mean. honestly. i don't like to use swears on a blog. (just kidding. i totally like to use swears on a blog) but really. cherry's evil twin, indeed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home