Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Friday, June 30, 2006

you give me fever

4 years ago I was living in Spain and my roommate Darcy and I woke up one Saturday morning to watch South Korea beat Spain in the quarterfinals in penalty kicks. We were screaming in a bar at 8 am and on the news as some of the "fanáticos" that watched the game.

Now I'm here in Honduras and my life has been taken over by the World Cup. I am traveling throughout San Ramón with my radio to make sure I don't miss a game. (Yes, it's a boombox, no it is not playing "Fight the Power" like in Do the Right Thing) During the preliminary rounds, the games were on 8, 11, and 2 so those filled my days for 2 weeks. I have huge charts of the schedule in my house, I talk about the games with the teachers at the colegio, I try to read the papers as much as possible.

It's getting close to the finals and I have to see every game now. I have a TV but just like the U.S., cable takes forever to be installed. I have been waiting for 3 weeks now and am super frustrated.

Classes were ended early last week so people could go home and watch games. The Germany/Argentina game just ended and as they went to penalty kicks, the streets were empty in Gracias, Lempira as I'm sure that most people were watching that.

I think since I don't have the Cubs to cheer for (or get angry about), all my tomboyish energy has gone into watching these games.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sé que esto es sus vacaciones favoritas y lo siento que usted no puede ser de gozarlo en casa. aquí está una raja del cuarto de julio apenas para usted.¡No tenga miedo, los fuegos artificiales no le perseguirán!

    hasta luego, chica de ojos marron.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFubLsrUTw

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sé que esto es sus vacaciones favoritas y lo siento que usted no puede ser de gozarlo en casa. aquí está una raja del cuarto de julio apenas para usted.¡No tenga miedo, los fuegos artificiales no le perseguirán!

    hasta luego, chica de ojos marron.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFubLsrUTw

     

Post a Comment

<< Home