Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Saturday, June 10, 2006

no, máteme

Luis and Brayan received a sweet computer from the states two weeks ago and they asked me to come over to install it for them. After I hooked it up, they asked me to help them with some games that came with the computer. We were playing this game where you are a POW in a Nazi camp in 1944 and trying to escape. It's fun and you get to blow up lots of stuff along the way (how I miss Grand Theft Auto) but it's in English and I was asked to do a lot of interpreting along the way.

Some of the stuff was absolutely impossible like a letter that said, "Kaiser, Let the guards know that they cannot steal any of the fkdsnkngj, skngskgnskdf, ksfnskdfnsd (All words in German) or they will be executed". I just looked at Luis and told him not to steal and he looked at me like I was nuts.

The thing that made them laugh though was this German nanny that was running from room to room screaming, please don't kill me. The fun part about Spanish are all the little rules and how direct translation never truly works.

"Please don't kill me" correctly translated would be, no me mates. I said, no máteme, which translates to no, kill me. Luis and Brayan were laughing at me the rest of the afternoon and when I left the house they shouted, "Kill me please!". I wanted to smack them both.

In other news, there is no school all of next week because it is student week which means I get to watch a whole lot of World Cup. The colegio had a futbolito tournament which was really fun to watch. I foolishly sat in the sun for about 3 hours and I have nasty sunburn on my shoulders. The colegio set up a speaker system so that they could announce the games in true Spanish form complete with "Gooooooooooaaaaaalllllllllll!". During a halftime though, some of the students started saying what's up to all their friends and William grabbed the mic and yelled, "Prof. Jhonny loves Cati!", which embarassed the hell out of me, made everyone laugh, and caused me to give William the finger in front of a lot of people. Lucky for me, everyone thought it was cute (what William said and my giving of the finger)and it ended up just fine. That's the way it goes. Everything always seem to work out in the end.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    why oh why....ahhhhhhaaaaahhhhh!

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sunburn on the shoulders? Making fun of you has become WAY too easy.

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    you want the chainsaw, gringo?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home