Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Monday, January 16, 2006

I´m useless, but not for long

I´ve inherited a baseball team from the previous volunteer which I was pretty exicted about when I first got to site. I have been in site for about 5 weeks and I have yet to MEET this baseball team. There is a national championship for all the teams the first week of March but I don't know if my team will participate. The reason I haven't met this team is beacause I have yet to meet the director of the high school here who is in charge of their equipment and the playing field.

It's one of my biggest frustrations right now (even bigger than jerky guys) because I have this big project at the high school and the director doesn't live here and hasn't made the attempt to contact me. The previous volunteer helped build a library for the high school but it's not entirely finished. The inside needs to be painted and on one of the walls the school wants a world map painted on it. There are also 5 computers that need to be set up so that the IT teacher can give computer classes. The library is really nice but it can't be used until these last things are done. On the volunteer request form that the director filled out, he asked that I create reading clubs and help teachers use the library in their classes. I am supposed to assign a book to a Spanish class and we're supposed to analyze it and write reports on it.

Now I have spent the last 5 weeks doing very little-just going to the health center to ask about my house mostly-and I could have spent some of that time working in the library or with my baseball team. Or I could have spent the time looking through some of the books to see what stories would be good to use. (Plus I need more time to read in Spanish obviously.)

School begins on Feb. 15th and I'm beginning to get nervous. My project manager is coming on the 25th of this month to see what I've done so far (um, nothing). The thing that is frustrating is that the director wants me to help with all these projects but where is he? What kind of person will he be to work with once he gets here if he's not here now?

And once Feb. 15th hits, I know that I will be working like crazy. It would be nice to know what I'm exactly supposed to be doing.

As for my baseball team in San Ramon (affectionately named the Cubs)...looks like another season out of the playoffs...but what's one more year really? The real Cubs have been waiting much longer. (Sigh. Maybe this will be their year.)

1 Comments:

  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger *** said…

    we have had one practice, and nobody came to our second, so dont sweat it...hey, this tourny is just gonna be a free week in tegus anyways...and we havent met any of our counterparts that are affiliated with the schools, its gonna be pretty hard to find anyone until school starts...
    when are we gonna get together? superbowl weekend perhaps?
    hey, check out the new pic! i dont look like a hippy lumberjack anymore!
    simon

     

Post a Comment

<< Home