Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Friday, December 16, 2005

bashó...banana tree

I have been reading a lot this week because most of my counterparts have left for the holiday season and won´t return until later in January, which is fine by me. I´d rather celebrate my 25th birthday reading rather than working. In fact I´d love to spend the next 2 years reading rather than working.

I did however get the opportunity to live like a local the past few days. (Other than living in my cell, I mean). I have been going out to the farms to pick bananas and coffee beans. One of my neighbors asked if I wanted to see the farm so after a short hike we got to her private farm. I got to crawl under chicken wire without scratching myself (can that go on the resumé?), chop down plants with a machete (can´t wait to buy one of those), pick coffee beans (Starbucks anyone?), and manage to yet again, sprain my ankle!

For those of you that don´t know me, I am notorious for spraining my ankle. It is just a way of life for me. About every 4 years of my life, I manage to sprain my ankle in some crazy accident.

Foolishly, I tried to balance myself of a branch of a banana plant, it broke and I fell, making a complete idiot out of myself. On top of that, there was a piece of chicken wire under the branch (of all places), and I got stuck on it for a good 5 minutes. I must have really looked like a city girl gringa at that moment. But it´s all good. My ankle is just fine now and I´ll be back to picking coffee beans for Starbucks in no time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home