Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Friday, January 20, 2006

the c-word

During our first three months, our trainers used the word confianza, trust, so often that it began to lose meaning. It was used so often that it was put on our class t-shirt as an inside joke.
Our trainers always said, "It's important to gain confianza with your commmunity/host family/counterparts/etc". But it doesn't really mean much when they say it to you until you experience it, much like most things in life.

This week has been good to me. My host brothers told me that they have confianza (exact word) with me. So much so that I am now:

1. Allowed to play Nintendo with them. (yes!)
2. Supposed to let them look through all my stuff when they come into my room.
3. Subject to their jokes about my Spanish (but it's all in fun).
4. Victim to their practical jokes. (spiders left in my shoes, a fake tarantula left on my bed that had me scream like a maniac)
5. Locked in my room on a regular basis (the door locks from the outside)

But it's all good. This week has actually flown by and I really felt for the first time that I could learn to love small town life. I taught my brothers how to play Uno, which entertains them for hours...plus they get crazy competitive. They also asked me to teach them some English which made me realize that maybe I can't teach English because the way they pronounced some words was so cute that I couldn't help but laugh. I wasn't laughing at them and I hope that they don't think that. For example,

Nose (Nariz). My brother Brayan pronounced it as "no sé" as in "I don't know" and another brother, Luis, would say "Well, I don't know either", which had me laughing anytime I thought about it later.

Later, they asked me how to say gun, machine gun, molotov cocktail, pistol, and rocket launcher. Where could they have learned those words????

Thank you very much Jean Claude Van Damme and Sylvester Stallone!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger *** said…

    in one of our english classes, a student got flustered in a practice converstation it went like this:

    crystal: Hi. My name is Crystal. Nice to Meet You!
    Joshea: (nervously) Hi!, uh, Machu Pichu! (yes, as in Incan temple of peru)

    First the bears get knocked out of the playoffs, and i feel that the san ramon cubs are gonna meet the same fate in a couple weeks... :)

     
  • At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No Thank you GTA.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home