Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Saturday, December 03, 2005

I´ve got 99 problems being a b* ain´t one....

To start things off, site announcements were on Tuesday and everyone guessed their sites correctly so my site is San Ramon, Talgua, Lempira 25 km Southeast of Santa Rosa de Copan. Site announcements were fun because we were yelling, being crazy, and we had CAKE! It was definitely the best part for me. My site was the first one announced so everyone was especially crazy. Our Project Manager tried to make it like a guessing game and she took quotes directly from our resumes or aspiration statements. I wrote something like, "I successfully grew a veggie garden!" and it was sooooo embarassing. I know there were a bunch of other quotes up there too but I don´t remember them because I was super embarassed. Everyone was laughing but everyone was also filled with anxiety and nerves as they were waiting for their sites too. The amusing part was everyone´s personal quotes because now that you know the person, you don´t imagine them saying, "I am here to make a difference in the community one person at a time, etc." But I wrote the same kind of things on my personal statement too and it´s just one of those things you do to get into PC in the first place.

Enough about that though. I am on my site visit right now. First of all, it takes FOREVER to get here from Teguc. I took a "direct" bus to Santa Rosa de Copan but we were in San Pedro Sula for almost an hour because of the traffic. (I would just like to say that I wish San Pedro Sula wasn´t off limits because it is a beautiful city with street lamps, paved roads with lanes, palm trees and streets that actually have a destination...not like Teguc.) Anyway the bus ride took about 9 hours and I had to stay overnight in Santa Rosa de Copan because there are only 4 busses to my town and the last one leaves at 2 pm. I stayed in a "hotel" that had hair in the sink when I first got in and a toilet with no seat. But it was safe so I shouldn´t complain. I got to San Ramon yesterday at 1 pm.

I am staying with a family for the first month or two while I´m here and then supposedly I am moving to the former Centro de Salud here. We´ll see. My family here is nice but I just want to live on my own already and I want my own space. My room here is small, has a bed and a space to put my things. But there are no windows and no lock on the door. I don´t want to sound like I´m complaining. To think of my room, think of "Peace Corps" and what comes to mind is probably what my room looks like. If I do not have my own place here by February....well, like I said, we´ll see.

My other problem here is that I have only met one of my counterparts and she will not be my counterpart once the government officially changes over. I have met the son of my counterpart, who has told me that my other counterparts will not want me to work with them. I am here to teach English--or so he´s been telling everyone that I´ve met so far. It kind of sucks because:
1. My Spanish is not strong enough to say otherwise without offending everyone.
2. I don´t want to start off on the wrong foot with the community by saying no, I am here to do other things too, because he may be right.
3. If I had my own place or met my counterparts, perhaps the term "Early Termination" wouldn´t have crossed my mind 6 times already.

Like I said, we´ll see what happens. I know I just need to give it time and I just hope that these problems will be nothing in a few months.

I would like to say that San Ramon is pretty, mountaneous, covered in pine trees and coffee plants and is not too hot.

Only time will tell....

3 Comments:

  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger *** said…

    You are not allowed to leave early even if you wanted to, becuz:
    1. we need the satisfaction of destroying your cubs
    2. Who else is gonna represent the midwest without you?
    3. Ruby Tuesdays
    4. You need to hang out with us in site and sing karioke (spelling?)

    Hang in there babe, it'll get better in no time...
    love mucho
    simon and crystal

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you come work with me until you find a better home.

    i will ice san ramon if it doesn't shape up.

    i don't understand why they are being such bitches when you are following a super volunteer. shouldn't they be excited?

     
  • At 1:17 AM, Blogger Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said…

    LOL every foreigner I know makes the same comment about the urban advantages of SPS over Teguz.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home