Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, October 23, 2005

¿de veras?

The phrase "¿de veras?" or really? has been the most useful phrase I learned from my family. As I´ve mentioned before, I understand Spanish but I can not speak it very well. So sometimes people will say something interesting to me and all I used to say was "si", which isn´t that interesting. Now I can bust out the phrase "¿de veras?" and it´s all good. For example:

My mom was telling me a story about a former trainee that stayed with them in 1998 and ended up marrying a Honduran woman. My mom and his mom (who met the wife for the first time at the wedding) cried for hours after the wedding because they both hated her-even though my mom spoke no English and his mom no Spanish.
¿de veras?
Boom! She continues the story with excitement and animation. If I were to say "¿si?", it could have appeared as though I wasn´t interested.

It´s a powerful little phrase. In other news, time is moving fast here. Have I been gone for 5 weeks? I feel like I arrived yesterday. My days are packed and just fly by. I know that I´ve mentioned that 4 hours of Spanish a day is a lot, but it´s not as much time as it may seem anymore. Next Sunday I am moving to Siguatepeque for 4 weeks for Field Based Training (FBT). FBT is the tough part of training-when we go out into the communities and schools and give charlas (talks) about self-esteem, pride, HIV, etc. Scary! One of the interesting things about PC is how fast you know people. In the states, 5 weeks is not really that long but 5 weeks here and we´ve learned a lot abou each other. It´s really fascinating.

"¿de veras?"

Ha! Works like a charm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home