Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

tikal to mexico

I'm in Chiapas, Mexico!!!

Tikal was gorgeous. Before going there, I read that it was in the middle of the jungle but that didn't make much sense to me until I experienced it. It really is in the middle of nowhere. From the main entrance to the main plaza is about a 20 minute walk through a created path. The stuctures were amazing and climbing pyramids was thrilling (and frightening) but the coolest part for me was all the animals. I saw so many monkeys, turkeys, toucans and a handful of other birds that I don't know the names of...I was foolish though and did not have a good breakfast and was burned out by midday. I wish that I had stayed an extra day to go again because there is just so much to see there that I don't think a day visit did it justice. But Tikal is expensive ($20), though well worth the money. Besides, I had already purchased my ticket to Mexico by then.

The trip to Mexico was quite the adventure. As I said, Tikal is in the middle of nowhere, Guatemala so the minibus that I took rode horrible dirt roads for about 2 hours. And it was just farmland everywhere. No houses, no people, just land. The road ends at a river and from there, I took a speedboat to get to the Mexican border. It was fun. From there, another minibus but on a paved road (thank goodness!).

So I arrived to Palenque yesterday and am staying in the town of El Panchán, which is about 4 km out of town. It's a cool village with cabins set up throughout the jungle and am staying in a cute cabin that is costing me $8/night. Later today (after a good meal), I will head out to the ruins, spend one more night here and head to the Zapatista capital, San Cristóbal de las Casas, tomorrow morning.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Yes, Tikal is unreal!!!

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home