Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Friday, December 16, 2005

how snickers has saved my life

A few weeks ago when I was in Siguatepeque, I received a massive box of goodies from my dear friend Jon, which included 9 Snickers bars...

Snickers here is the most delicious thing on the planet. I have no idea why because I didn´t eat them too often in the U.S., but since I got here, Snickers is like a gift from the gods. Well, a 13 lempira gift from the gods anyway.

2 days ago I was served mondongo soup (translation: intestine soup that smells like feet) and to be polite, I tried my best to eat some. The moment I bit into a piece of intestine, which I thought was potato, I almost lost it. I almost threw up at the table. I shoved a tortilla into my mouth and fought back the tears that were forming at my eyes. I´m sure I looked pretty ridiculous. Lucky for me, I am usually served alone so I took the rest of my soup and poured it back into the pot, washed my bowl, ran to my room and ate one of the Snickers to erase the horrible memory of the soup. (By the way, it is perfectly normal to put back food to the main bowl here. Yes, in the U.S., that´s disgusting, but in San Ramon, it is a way of life.)

So this one goes out to you J, thanks for saving my life yet again.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:39 AM, Blogger Dirty Flamingo said…

    You poor thing! My stepmother cooks mondongo from time to time, well when I lived at home anyways, and in addition to it smelling quite unpleasant, the sight of it was enough to make me gag.

    I feel very luck to be able to use the excuse of not eating meat for personal religious reasons, even though I'm just vegetarian and catholic by birth.

     
  • At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mmmm, intestinal soup. My favorite!!! In fact i would eat it everyday if only i could get someone to cook it for me. Glad you've been enjoying my goodies, but don't pass up local delicacies (sp) to rely on american junk food. I want you first in line next time they are serving up some eyeball and ear soup.

    Enjoy, Hannibal.

    Love
    Jon

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger *** said…

    Ah Snickers, is there anything they can´t do? (in my best simpson´s quoting fashion)
    hey, we should be seing ya somewhere in about a week!
    Til then, enjoy christmas!!
    simon and crystal

     

Post a Comment

<< Home