Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Monday, July 30, 2007

a glimpse into the future

I spent Saturday afternoon packing for my upcoming trip to Chicago. While I won’t be home for another few weeks, I wanted to pack my bag because my project manager is coming to visit this week and I would like to take advantage of the fact that she has a car and will ideally take me (and my massive exploding bag) to Santa Rosa. I can leave my bag there until mid-August, when I leave for Chicago. It was hard deciding what clothes I would bring back and which ones I would keep in San Ramon and wear for my last (!) 3 months. Even harder was taking down postcards, letters, photos, and artwork off my walls that made my house a home. It made me realize that my time is almost up and this house will be occupied by a local soon and I will be a distant memory. I have been so caught up with the idea of my 2 years finally being up and being able to go to the U.S., that I haven’t given much thought to what’s next. I have fantasized the hot showers, customer service, produce section of Whole Foods, draft beers, games at Wrigley and jibarito sandwiches, but I have no idea what I am going to do in terms of a job or a living situation. Putting 2 years of my life into Ziploc bags actually started to freak me out. In some ways, I am more scared about coming home (in December) than I was about leaving for Honduras 2 years ago. I think it’s because I knew that my time in Honduras was limited. In my head, I thought, “Alright, Peace Corps is 2 years and then I’ll have it figured out.” Now 2 years have passed and I have more questions rather than answers. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but as I was looking at my now blank walls Saturday night, it really blew my mind to think how quickly the 2 years have passed.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cheesecake Factory, here you come, HOOT HOOT!

    The Gout

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Tony Akins said…

    If I were a puppy?...My tail would have fallen off from all the wagging!

    I'm with you on just about everything but the Cubs.
    Yawn, keep 'em.
    Keep who?
    The Cubs...
    Eh, never heard of them.
    See I'm over 'em...why aren't you?
    That's just some jabby banter. I'm practicing for when you get back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home