Kathryn's Peace Corps Adventure

The opinions expressed and experiences described in this blog are mine personally. Any musings that you read here are not affiliated or endorsed by Peace Corps or U.S. government. Or Starbucks. And I'm not making any money from any of this, so don't send a lawsuit my way. Got it?

Sunday, September 16, 2007

time after time

My time is winding down. I’m not exactly sure of my departure date yet but with the school year ending at the beginning of November, the majority of my work will end. Remember what it felt like to be a senior in high school? The excitement of high school coming to an end, the thrill of the future, and the fear that you felt because you were leaving something that had become familiar? That’s how I’m feeling right now. I am excited for the next step and the new challenges that will come but I am also sad because I know that I will have to say goodbye to some really great people here. Not only great people but a great life. I know that I have complained at times about the difficulties I’ve faced here, but I am extremely satisfied here. Going to the U.S. really helped me realize how nice my life is here. I am scared to go back to the U.S. and falling right back into the grind but am trying to prepare myself for it a little while I am here. In the meanwhile, here are the things that I am going to miss about Honduras:

-Eating ripe mangoes until I’m sick to my stomach and never regretting it.
-Whole pineapples for 25 cents.
-Saying hello to everyone on the street.
-Not living my life by a schedule.
-Having kids scream my name on the street.
-Not constantly worrying about money.
-Saying (and hearing) “Eat well!” when I see someone eating (or am eating).
-The novelty of finding Cheerios in the supermarket.
-Dedicated teachers that are so talented despite having few resources.
-The novelty of sandwiches.
-My wonderful, funny and intelligent 6th graders.
-Crazy dances, festivals for the sake of celebration, and the necessity of having a Queen for every event.
-Walking out of my house and seeing gorgeous mountains, banana trees, charming colorful houses with Spanish tiles, and butterflies everywhere.
-Letting email and text messaging be a novelty rather than a necessity.
-Talking to complete strangers about anything.
-Being able to let my guard down. I hope I can take that one home with me.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I made a list of things I would miss when I exited high school. Then I remembered what high school was all about, and realized I wouldn't miss any of it.

    Hope the same happens to you.

    The Gout

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Tony Akins said…

    Great...Now you've made ME miss Honduras. Drink in EVERY DAY there, Kati.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home